Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Review: Wish for Me (The Djinn Order #1) by A. Star

Wish for Me (The Djinn Order, #1)
Wish for Me (The Djinn Order #1) by A. Star
Publication Date: April 27th, 2015
Genre: Adult Fantasy Romance
Pages: 172
Format: Kindle
Source: Bought
Read: May 11th to 17th, 2015
 
 
 
~Summary~
 
Three wishes. Two lovers. One destiny.

When the snarky Glory St. Pierre discovers the gold mechanical vase in her deceased grandmother’s basement, she has no idea that she has uncovered a priceless treasure: a genie lamp. With a real genie inside. A very sexy genie with a not-so-sexy grudge against the entire human race.

Irving Amir hates being called a genie. He’s a Djinn, and he is none too happy to be in the service of Glory, who is as intolerable, and beautiful, as humans come. Now he owes her his gratitude for freeing him and three wishes. Damn his luck.

But an arrow through the shoulder alerts Irving to the fact that he is being hunted, and after a truce dinner with Glory ends with them both almost being killed, hating each other goes right out the window. As feelings change and love starts to develop, they must dig through the secrets and lies to find the truth...a truth neither of them will ever see coming.

WARNING: Not suitable for ages 18 and under. A significant source of bad language, sexy times, and dirty jokes. If you suffer from a lack of a sense of humor, take with plenty of wine. If the symptom persists, see a doctor.
 
 
~My Thoughts~
 
I've been dying to get my hands on this ever since I saw it on Bookfever. Just everything screams, "Buy me, buy me!". The cover is gorgeous and that summary, I've been dying to read a genie (sorry, not sorry Irving) story for a while now as I see that's where the latest trend is going. Then it was getting amazing reviews, I just had to get it!
 
I wanted to fall head over heels for Wish for Me and I was in the beginning, sort of. But I don't know, it just wasn't what I expected and I could easily put it down. The opening scene was awesome and hilarious but the more I got to know Glory, I don't know, she just rubbed me the wrong way sometimes with her actions. Glory is real and I love it, but sometimes she was just too much for me and it's probably cause we're so different. She's confidant and out spoken, she's very forward and these are all great qualities but why is it necessary to say "fucking" in like every single sentence you say? I'm not a prude but I'm not one that needs to cuss in everything I say but I also know people who are like that too, my husband is one of them haha. So, for me I'm torn towards Glory. She's real but I just couldn't connect to her.

And then there was this one chapter where Glory thought it be cool to bring Irving to her classes, like why? I understand the first time she wanted to hang out with him, to ask him questions and what not. I mean, he's a freaking GENIE, I'd do the same thing. But why bring him to school the next day, especially if you aren't going to make a wish. I don't know, I think the author gave it a reason in the book but for me it's like, why? Especially, if you guys are only to argue. I know it sort of helped the plot move forward but yeah, still.

The romance, sigh. If you love when the love interests are constantly arguing with one other then you'll love this one. Don't get me wrong, I love it and it can sweep you off your feet sometimes too. But then there's also times where it can get tiring from reading a book after another where it's like that. So, I rolled my eyes and of course by the end of it, they're in love. I know this is a common plot in a lot of the romance books, especially paranormal/fantasy ones but it's nice to get a change once in a while. I don't know, maybe I was hoping for something a little bit more original. Especially when the genie plot feels so original!

Then there's a steampunk element to Wish for Me. I wasn't head over heels for this either. I think it's because I was expecting the whole thing to be wrapped up in a steampunk world but in reality Glory lives in our time and it's the genie world that's steampunk. I enjoyed it but I was wishing for more though. Oh, and one last thing before my final thoughts. "Three wishes. Two lovers. One destiny." I'm guessing this is foreshadowing to the next two books in the series because there was only one lover in Wish for Me, another expectation I had.

Overall, I don't know, I'm torn. I had high expectations about Wish for Me and sadly they weren't delivered. But that ending though, it makes me crave for the next one! Though that was like the only twist I didn't see coming. I had a feeling we knew who the hunters were, saw it a mile away. I like Wish for Me but it just didn't knock me off my feet, it was kind of so-so for me.


 
 
 
 Sweet Readings Everybody!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment