Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Review: Once A Witch by Carolyn MacCullough

 
Once a Witch (Witch, #1)
 
Once A Witch (Witch #1) by Carolyn MacCullough
Publication Date: September 14th 2009
Genre: YA Paranormal
Pages: 292
 
 
Summary
 
 
Tamsin Greene comes from a long line of witches, and she was supposed to be one of the most Talented among them. But Tamsin's magic never showed up. Now seventeen, Tamsin attends boarding school in Manhattan, far from her family. But when a handsome young professor mistakes her for her very Talented sister, Tamsin agrees to find a lost family heirloom for him.
 
The search—and the stranger—will prove to be more sinister than they first appeared, ultimately sending Tamsin on a treasure hunt through time that will unlock the secret of her true identity, unearth the sins of her family, and unleash a power so vengeful that it could destroy them all. This is a spellbinding display of storytelling that will exhilarate, enthrall, and thoroughly enchant.
 
 
This perked my interest. Why? Because for the first time the main girl in the paranormal genre isn’t the most powerful! Because she is actually on the sidelines of all the magic in her family! Isn’t the one all the bad guys want! And isn’t the one with this all mighty destiny!
So yea, I was majorly interested in this book. She was actually going to find things like the rest of her family but without the magically talents to help her out.*minor spoiler* Well, that’s all wrong and you’ll find that out when you get deeper into the book. *end of spoiler* But other than that little disappointment I really did enjoy this read.
The time travelling was the best. Going back into other times is like an all-time favorite of mine, especially when they went back into the 1920’s! *squeal* The way they called their gifts “talents” I really liked, all the characters were unique and when Tasmin’s sister went crazy I seriously had laugh out loud moments. How smooth and gentle the romance grew between Tasmin and Gabriel was amazing to read, the little out of the box jokes were cute the moment they fell out of Gabriel’s lips.
“Please!" I stop my pacing, glare at him. "Is that all you can think about at a time like this?"
Gabriel rolls up on one elbow and smiles at me. "I'm a guy. It's what I think about all the time.”
 
This was an easy read to fall into. The cast of characters were fun to read, the adventures Tasmin got herself into were a blast, the magic was well…..magically, the rants the family members got into was enjoyable to watch, the process of her sister turning crazy and into a love sick puppy was seriously laughable, and the writing of this tall tale is spellbinding.
Overall, this is a light magical read and you’ll fly through it wanting to know what happens next as this is also a page turner. Packed with action, evil bad guys, flying fire balls, bickering siblings, freezing people with one touch, time travelling, love sick sisters, and a sweet slow romance blooming throughout the pages this is a must read. A tale that feels original and one that seems more subtle than most! And I can’t wait to read the next one!   
Then one last thought tugs at me, so I turn back.
"So why did you name me Tamsin?" I ask. "You always promised to tell me later. Even though, technically, it's earlier."
My grandmother's smile flickers, deepens.
"It's how you introduced yourself to me tonight. I just assumed that's what you wanted to be named.”
 
 
 
 
 
Happy Reading Everybody!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment