Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Review: It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #1) by Heather Blake

It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1)
It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #1) by Heather Blake
Publication Date: January 3rd 2012
Genre: Adult Paranormal Mystery
Pages: 309
Format: Paperback
Source: Gift
Read: April 10th to April 15th, 2015
 
 
 
~Summary~
 
Darcy Merriweather and her sister, Harper, hail from a long line of witches who have the power to grant wishes using spells. They've come to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, but they soon find themselves knee deep in murder...

Until three weeks ago, Darcy and Harper were working dead-end jobs and trying to put their troubles behind them. Then their aunt Velma delivered a bombshell: They're actually Wishcrafters - witches with the power to grant wishes with a mere spell. Wanting a fresh start, they head to their aunt's magic-themed tourist town to master their newfound skills.

But their magic fails them when a wannabe witch turns up dead - strangled with Aunt Ve's scarf - and Ve's sweetheart, Sylar, is found looming over the body. Ve is standing by her man, but Darcy overheard Skylar wish that the victim would disappear - forever. With Harper distracted by her handsome new crush, Darcy is determined to sleuth her way to the truth. But it'll take more than a wish to unravel this mystery....
 
 
~My Thoughts~
 
I knew from the very first chapter I was going to love It Takes a Witch!
 
"Usually I'm not in the habit of tiptoeing through strange houses under the cover of darkness. It was unsettling to say the least, and I felt completely out of sorts. My outfit only added to my discomfort. The flouncy, frilly pink satin bodysuit, tulle tutu, and pink ballet slippers were a far cry from my usual jeans and tee."
 
I was sad when I didn't have time to read this back in September, it was a library book and I just couldn't keep renewing it. But one day I knew I would get to it again, probably even buy it because I just had to have it! For my birthday last year, hubby took me to Barnes & Noble and let me pick out a few books as a gift. The first place I went to was the mystery aisle and I picked up It Takes a Witch in a heartbeat! Now I'm dying for the sequel!
 
I really loved that this was more than just a mystery book. You ever read one where it's all about the mystery (which is obviously the point) but you don't really feel like you get anything about the main character? Or enough to feel connected? I have and I'm so grateful that that's not the case with this one! Mrs. Blake has created such a unique and charming world! I was sucked in immediately by how enticing Enchanted Village was! If it was a real place, I would so go there for a visit! And the characters she created, I just couldn't get enough!
 
Darcy and Harper need a change and when they find the truth about their heritage, they take the change hand on. Moving in with their estrange Grandmother, they embrace their new found power of being Wishcrafters. There's so much magic in this world it just bleeds off the pages, it is absolutely easy to get lost within this book! I just couldn't get enough! Since Darcy is new to the magic she can end up in quite a few sticky situations- like wishing up a wombat for a little boy.
 
Learning about the Wishcraft world was an absolute joy for me! Though there was one part about being a Wishcrafter I thought was kind of sad- they can't be in pictures or videos as instead of seeing them, in place would be a bright star. Other than that, this a is a light, fun read and as the page count was getting higher and I was getting closer to the end, I just didn't want it to end! I was honestly hoping another hundred pages would just magically appear and I could continue to be a part of this world haha. Which is why I'm dying for the sequel!
 
Overall I was hooked, turning page after page! The mystery had me on my toes and honestly I had no idea whatsoever on who the killer was. I'm so pleased by all the twist and turns, the lot of secrets being revealed throughout the story. It was truly a blast and I hope to fall back into this world again soon! I also loved watching Darcy grow and find her way, embracing who she is and finding happiness within herself after getting a divorce. Though it's been two years I loved that she didn't dive head first when love interest Nick came into the picture. Their relationship is a blooming one, them getting to know each other before starting a relationship and I loved it. It Takes a Witch wasn't blinded by the romance, it was truly balanced well with the mystery and us getting to know this world along with Darcy. I can already tell this is going to be a favorite series of mine!
 
 
It will take possession over you
 
 
 
Sweet Readings Everybody!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment