Friday, August 2, 2013

Review: Curse of the Bane

Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice #2) by Joseph Delaney
Publication Date: August 29, 2006
Genre: Teen Fantasy
Pages: 455


 
 
Summary
 

Now it's the dark's turn to be afraid

The Spook and his apprentice, Thomas Ward, deal with the dark. Together they rid the county of witches, ghosts, and boggarts. But now there's some unfinished business to attend to in Priestown. Deep in the catacombs of the cathedral lurks a creature the Spook has never been able to defeat; a force so evil that the whole county is in danger of being corrupted by its powers. The Bane!

As Thomas and the Spook prepare for the battle of their lives, it becomes clear that the Bane isn't their only enemy. The Quisitor has arrived, searching for those who meddle with the dark so he can imprison them--or worse.

Can Thomas defeat the Bane on his own? Is his friend Alice guilty of witchcraft? And will the Spook be able to escape the Quisitor's clutches?
 
 
Okay, I read the first one and liked it. So when I saw this at the library and I happily picked it up. But the thing is, after reading it, I don't have a strong opinion on it. I didn't dislike it, but I'm not sure if I liked it.
 
 
It took me longer to read it than I thought it would. It never really hooked me. The beginning was promising but it never lived up to that promise. Honestly, it felt kind of long. It just seemed to drag on. And it spent more time stating how evil the church and the priests are and how women don't have souls than actually dealing with the villain, the Bane. The book tried to be scary but it wasn't really.
 
 
The characters were okay. I didn't really love any of them. None of them seemed to develop through the book. It was clear the author tried but it always fell flat. Which is the best way to describe most of the characters. And I didn't like the Bane as the villain. They made him out to seem all powerful, but he was dealt with rather easily.
 
 
So, overall, it's not a bad book. The first one is better and this is a disappointing follow up. If you read the first one than go head and pick this one up. I don't know if I will read the next. Maybe if I find it the library.
 
.5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment