Monday, January 23, 2012

Review: Switched

Switched (Trylle Trilogy #1) by Amanda Hocking
Publication Date: January 3rd 2012
Genre: YA Fantasy
Pages: 293
Goodreads




Summary

When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and Wendy's not sure she wants to be a part of it.




Amanda Hocking is a household name for the bookish. I fell in love with her book Hollowland and once again she gave me a pleasurable read.

I've been intrigued with this book or the concept before she sold the rights to St. Martin's however the new cover made it more appealing. I know shame on me, but really, who doesn't judge or buys because of a pretty cover. Huh. Haha, anyways I did find some edit errors and...it kind of bugged me.

Now, I don't want to be rude and say it's fine for self published books to have them because, they, too can hire an editor. But when it's a big publishing house....you tend to think they can do better than that, we expect them too. However, don't worry, there aren't many just a few and they're spread out. They're not constant.

If you're looking for an action packed book than this book isn't for you. Yes, there is action. In the beginning it's kind of nonstop, to the scene where her mother is trying to kill her and to the scene that makes her end up to a world she never knew existed. Plus, of course action in the end of the story. It wouldn't be a story if it didn't, right? 

And in the middle is her learning of the world to which she was born. So if you think you would like this book then go for it, I sure know I liked it and can't wait for the next. 

Wendy, the main character, I thought she was going to be a brat by the way some people described her but...she's not. Yes, she can be whiny but it's only towards things she has to learn and who wouldn't blame her. Why would she want to be a princess when she just got ripped away from the only family she's known. Why should she accept gracefully. I mean she reacted normally. 

Though, sometimes I thought it was inappropriate when she started to think about Finn, the way she was, when it wasn't the right moment. Like with things going haywire. I'd rather see her become strong and she does, sometimes. So I can't wait to see how much stronger she gets in the next two books. Hopefully less love sick puppy, though I guess at that age that's all you care about. I wouldn't know. 

   "Why are you staring at me?"
"Because you're standing in front of me," Finn replied

Finn is sweet but starts out rude. Though of course there's a reason behind the rudeness.

I loved, loved, Elora. She's cold, bitter, and hates everything Wendy does "Because a Princess shouldn't act like that..." I think the reason why I liked this book so much was because the day I started was also when I watched an episode of Once Upon A Time an amc original TV series. And the Evil Queen in that show is whom I pictured Elora. They even have the same look, attitude, and so forth. If you haven't seen that show you must, just must do. My review just, click....


The world building is amazing and I just hope the Trylle will come more into their powers. I mean seriously. I love that they're Trolls but not the normal ones we are used to. If you like fantasy then I believe you'll like this one.





Happy Reading Everybody!


Two birds, One stone


No comments:

Post a Comment