Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Review: The Cheater (Fear Street #18) by R.L Stine

The Cheater (Fear Street, #18)
 
The Cheater (Fear Street #18) by R.L Stine
Publication Date: April 1st 1993
Genre: YA Horror
Pages: 152
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
 
 
~Summary~
 
Carter Phillips is under so much pressure to do well on her math achievement test that she gets Adam to take it for her, in exchange for one date. But Adam wants more than a date--much more. Carter has to do whatever he asks, or he'll tell her secret. As his control over her gets more and more unbearable, she wonders in desperation if murder is the only way out.
 
 
~My Thoughts~
 
If a guy asks to take you on a date in exchange for taking your test, that should tell you right there all hell is about the break loose. But in Carter's eyes she didn't believe anything bad could happen. I mean, it's only one promised date, huh Carter?
Wrong.
Come on Carter, why couldn't you have been a little bit brighter? You practically sold your soul but you didn't care. You were just too blinded from your fear of daddy being disappointed in you again if you didn't bring a high score of 700. This is a lesson, don't let your parents disappointment led you down horrible paths. It just might get you killed. Okay, well it didn't get Carter killed but it did led to someone else's death. One I didn't see coming completely, but whom the murderer was I did see completely. It wasn't a big shock on who killed the teen but how the ending came to be was a complete shock. I was surprised on how it all wrapped up.
Let's rewind a bit, shall we?
I knew red flags were shooting up the moment Carter was making the deal with Adam at the diner. I had a horrible feeling, a feeling that was telling Carter to shut the hell up and walk away. Don't make that deal cause it isn't going to be just one date. I had fear that that guy would go too far with her on one of those dates I knew would eventually come. I mean, guys only think of that one thing, right? I know that's not true but when it comes to guys I don't know, like Carter doesn't really know Adam just the rumors about him, I’d make sure I'm extra careful. I’d make sure I'm high alert, something Carter wasn't doing. Which led her and her best friend to later go on a double date with a couple of bad boys. This date had their preppy selves being pushed around by a bunch of scumbags.
Ugh, I was really hoping that R.L Stine was going to put a twist on Adam. I was really hoping he would actually turn out to be the nice guy. The guy that would protect her, the guy that might be better for her in the long run, the guy that could show her how to be free and loose. How to get away from her father. I was really hoping for that till they went on their last date and I knew my view on him had changed back to what it was the moment he stepped onto the page...he's danger and one to be careful around. But I get why R.L Stine made him look like a sweetheart in the beginning, so when the right time came, we would hate him again. Hate him like the true bad guy he really is.
Overall this turned out better than I thought. It actually was written in a different way I thought it would have, which is why I really enjoyed myself with this one. It didn't go straight to the deaths. Though I do love them, I liked that this had a great build up. Great build up on tension, great character development, and just great storyline that had me hooked. I finished this in less than 24 hours, I just couldn't get enough. Those god damn cliffhangers at the end of every chapter, haha.
 
 
Will disturb your being
 
 
Sweet Readings Everybody!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment