Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Review: My Soul To Take

So this review is like way over do but lately I have had a busy life and now I have a sick life. Been sick since Saturday so now is my time to catch up on a few things, like, my reading. Oh how I miss reading like this. :) 


My Soul To Take (Soul Screamers #1) by Rachel Vincent
Publication Date: August 1st 2009
Genre: YA Fantasy
Pages: 279
Goodreads




Summary

She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.


In one sentence-

This is one original concept with fun twist and turns, that'll have you hooked within a few words.

My thoughts-

There aren't a lot of Banshees in the young adult world so this concept is fresh. It's action packed, has a sweet romance, and a shocking ending. I don't want to talk about the plot much because it's unique and I don't want to spoil. All you need to know is that she has this crazy desire to scream for someone who is about to die.  

Kaylee is fun, spunky, tough and I love her reaction towards Nash.

“Nash Hudson. Holy crap. I almost looked down to see if ice had anchored my feet to the floor, since hell had surely frozen over. Somehow I’d stepped off the dance floor and into some weird warp zone where irises swam with color and Nash Hudson smiled at me, and me alone.”    

When the hottest guy in school chooses her over all the other tail he can get easily, she asks questions. I loved that she didn't fall head over heels for him the moment he laid eyes on her- like we see a lot in the young adult world. Yes she has a crush but it doesn't stop her from loosing all her brain power, she can still think for herself.

Nash, well, it's a love hate relationship. Why? Well I'll tell you. I love him because he's sweet, he's there for Kaylee whenever she needs him, he tells her the truth but...the reason for the hate is, sometimes I think he can come on a little strong on her. And I believe sometimes the only reason why he likes her is because of what she is and not for- who she is. So hopefully in the next Rachel will clear that up for me.

The second hand characters I think I loved them all. They all have a reason and they're just great. A superficial cousin, over protective uncle, a great best friend that's there for Kaylee- even during her crazy moments, the smexy reaper that has a big secret and many, many more.  

Overall-

This one most definitely stands out in the paranormal crowd. It's fun and I couldn't help reading this one the day after I finished reading My Soul To Lose. The writing just wraps you up and won't let you go.

Though there are a few spots in this book that are dur dur dur moments. However the bigger mystery is a lot harder to solve- at least for me. It was more of the slap on the forehead kind, like, well duh I can't believe I didn't think of that.   

I loved ever moment of reading this book and can't wait to read the next. I want to read more of Kaylees keening to scream- those moments are always so intense.






Two birds, One stone






No comments:

Post a Comment