Sunday, June 3, 2012

Review: Just One Wish





Just One Wish by Janette Rallison
Publication Date: March 5th 2009
Genre: YA Contemporary
Pages: 272
Goodreads





Summary

Seventeen-year-old Annika Truman knows about the power of positive thinking. With a little brother who has cancer, it's all she ever hears about. And in order to help Jeremy, she will go to the ends of the earth (or at least as far as Hollywood) to help him believe he can survive his upcoming surgery.

But Annika's plan to convince Jeremy that a magic genie will grant him any wish throws her a curveball when he unexpectedly wishes that his television idol would visit him. Annika suddenly finds herself in the desperate predicament of getting access to a hunky star actor and convincing him to come home with her. Piece of cake, right?

Janette Rallison's proven talent for laugh-out-loud humor, teen romance, and deep-hearted storytelling shines in a novel that will have readers laughing and crying at the same time.



I choose this book because I was hoping for a pick me up kind of book. And doesn't this plot sound like a good pick me up. I bet you guys can already feel the but coming, huh?

But it wasn't a majorly powerful pick me up kind of book. Yes, I had laughs even laugh out loud moments, but it didn't completely lift my spirits up. It was a nice little read but it didn't fill this certain craving. 

Annika was a fun, strong willed character that was put through the ultimate test- her little 6 year old brother getting cancer. I loved everything she did just so she could make him happy. Starting with the opening scene. That's when you knew this book had some humor in it.

The stunts she did all just to get the guy whom plays Robin Hood in her brothers favorite TV show were fun. The snake, the nuns costume, and the trailer jumping.....yeah, actually jumping from one trailer roof to another, was so much fun to read. Laugh out loud moment right there!     

However, I felt that in some areas were maybe a little rushed....just maybe. This plot takes place in only a couple to three days. So you know you're going from one silly stunt to the next. But when it came to the romance between Annika and Robin Hood (for god sake, I can't totally remember his name.) Anyways, I felt in some parts of the book she got to distracted by his good looks. Which is fine, being attracted to someone, but sometimes I felt she thought about that in some of the wrong times.

Overall, this was an okay book. Plus when I was reading this my life was going some what upside down, at that time, so that's probably why it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. This is a fun, light hearted read that can be read by anyone.

And if you loved any of Janette's previous works then I'm sure you'll love this one too!






No comments:

Post a Comment