Thursday, June 9, 2016

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1) by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1) by J.K. Rowling
Publication Date: June 26th, 1997
Genre: Yong Adult Fantasy
Pages: 309
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Read: May 21st to 30th, 2016
Rating: 5/5



~Summary~

Harry Potter has never played a sport while flying on a broomstick. He's never worn a cloak of invisibility, befriended a giant, or helped hatch a dragon. All Harry knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley. Harry's room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in eleven years.

But all that is about change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to a wonderful place he never dreamed existed. There he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic around every corner, but a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter.




Harry Potter was a huge part of my childhood (my mother read the first two books as bedtime stories to me and my siblings and of course I've seen all the movies, the first two in the movie theaters) and it's still a huge part of my life to this day! But I've actually never picked up the book until now.....I know shame on me, but before you guys get in a hissy fit here's my story why. I'm a slow reader and so large books can intimidated me sometimes but no more! I know, a silly reason to not pick them up....So, anyways, I finally bought the box set and now I'm finally getting to them!

I truly enjoyed this book but it did take me a bit to get into the writing style, I think because it's in third person. I enjoyed going deeper into the story, seeing how scenes from the movie actually went in the book, enjoyed reading scenes that weren't in the movie like Hagrid spending the night at the cabin with them before he took Harry to go shopping. I loved falling back into this world and as I was reading it, the movie played through my mind, it was so easy to picture this world! 

Though sometimes I wished some scenes had more description or some conversations transitioned better or I was able to see how Harry and them connected things in there mind, how they figured somethings out, putting the pieces together. But other than that I loved falling back into this world and I'm dying to pick up the next book! This was a brilliant book to turn into a movie and they just made this series that more powerful for doing a wonderful job at portraying them!





Sweet Readings Everybody!

1 comment:

  1. This was such a huge part of my childhood too. I just love HP. Great review. :D

    ReplyDelete