Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fairy Bad Day





While most students at Burtonwood Academy get to kill demons and goblins, fifteen-year-old Emma gets to rid the world of little annoying fairies with glittery wings and a hipster fashion sense. She was destined to be a dragon slayer, but cute and charming Curtis stole her spot. Then she sees a giant killer fairy - and it's invisible to everyone but her! If Emma has any chance of stopping this evil fairy, she's going to need help. Unfortunately, the only person who can help is Curtis. And now, not only has he stolen her dragon-slayer spot, but maybe her heart as well! Why does she think it's going to be a fairy bad day?



So it's been awhile since I've written a book review on here (A month and I can't believe it took me so long to get through this book) and the reason was because of this book. Now the main reason behind that could be because it didn't really grab me and maybe, too, a small (very, very small part) is because of school and sometimes I'm tired after the long drive home. (note: I didn't read it everyday or skipped a week). But deep down I think it was the book itself.

The concept sounded nice, my kind of thing, and the cover, I just love the cover but the execution it just wasn't.....great. I think I was imagining something else before I dove into it which might have ruined the book for me or maybe it just fell flat because I was hoping for more.

One cute boy.
One tough girl.
One giant killer fairy.
What could possibly go wrong?

Well, for one I felt like some sentences were missing some words. Need some more editing time I think. And second, you know when the characters are searching for answers and asking questions, well the thing that bugged me was when they asked the question and then all of a sudden someone squeals out "Oh look, here it is!!!" or something like that and to me it felt very.....amateur. Definitely when they kept doing it over and over again in this one scene. It just pushed a nerve I think. It pushed and pushed till I was almost to the point of throwing the book at a wall and I don't get that feeling very often.

Lets see, what else is there.....oh. The love interest. I don't know maybe I like it when it develops a little more or have it feel like we to want to fall for him, for the romance and I didn't feel like that with this one. Yes, the guy is sweet and he's there for the main character, Emma, but I feel like I don't know what their true connection is. It feels very....vague.

And lastly, I felt like there were a few cliche's and I know that happens. Every genre has a certain formula, you know rules. I should know I write too. But what makes a YA paranormal different, unique from other YA paranormal ones is how we use the rules, bend them, make our own along the way. Except I felt this one didn't instead follow every rule in the rule book. The only thing she made her own rules on was the fairies which I'll talk about in a little bit.

I just feel like I've seen/read it all before and maybe this is a sign to take a break from this genre and move on to the next for awhile.

Although, not everything was bad. For one the fairies oh how I love those little guys. They're sarcastic, stylish, sugar crazy. When they were in the picture you sure as hell would catch me cracking a smile. So if you like leopard legging wearing, skittle and Starbucks loving fairies then this is your book. Maybe if I read it in a different time (when I'm less busy) I may have like it more. So with all that was said I give it,

3 hearts
<3 <3 <3  

    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment