Saturday, March 2, 2013

Review: Crank

Crank (Crank #1) by Ellen Hopkins
Publication Date: October 5, 2004
Genre: YA Contemporary
Pages: 537


 
 
Summary
 
 
In Crank, Ellen Hopkins chronicles the turbulent and often disturbing relationship between Kristina, a character based on her own daughter, and the "monster," the highly addictive drug crystal meth, or "crank." Kristina is introduced to the drug while visiting her largely absent and ne'er-do-well father. While under the influence of the monster, Kristina discovers her sexy alter-ego, Bree: "there is no perfect daughter, / no gifted high school junior, / no Kristina Georgia Snow. / There is only Bree." Bree will do all the things good girl Kristina won't, including attracting the attention of dangerous boys who can provide her with a steady flow of crank.
 
 
I only got this one on Wednesday as an early birthday present from my dad. I picked it up and I could barely put it down.
 
 
Life was good before I met the monster. / After, life was great. / At least for a little while.
 
 
This is my first time reading a book in verse. Each verse has a different layout, so each page is different. The author use this beautifully so the way the words flowed fit what was going on in the book. it also add an eerily creepy feeling to it.
 
 
The main character is Kristina. She's the good girl who is trying to reconnect with her dad. While she is doing that she gets addicted to meth, a.k.a crank. And while under the influence, she discovers Bree. She is the bad girl side of Kristina. They take turns being in control. There is three different guys: Adam, Brendan, and Chase. Adam is her first love, Brendan is the cool guy that turns out not that nice, and Chase is the bad boy who ends up being really sweet. I don't know if I can say I really liked any of the characters but they are good characters.
 
I got a feeling this book will stick with me for a while. It sucks you in and makes you want to finish it. It makes you care. And this book is hauntingly beautiful.  It is written beautifully and is poweriful. I recommend this whole heartedly and I can't wait to get the next one.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment