Saturday, March 29, 2014

Ashley's Review: Deer in Headlights (Good Gods #1) by Staci Hart

Deer in Headlights (Good Gods, #1)
Deer in Headlights (Good Gods #1) by Staci Hart
Publication Date: February 12th 2012
Genre: New Adult Fantasy Romance
Pages: 166
Format: Kindle
Source: Free on Amazon
 
 
~Summary~
 
**18+ and FREE**

What do the Greek gods do when they’re bored? Because they’re always bored. Being alive for thousands of years can get a little old.

They’ve been playing games for eons. Games with human players. Remember Shakespeare? Yeah, that was Apollo. Bonnie and Clyde? Aphrodite vs Ares.

It’s Aphrodite’s turn once again in the rounds of competitions, and she’ll defend her domain: Love. She hasn’t lost a competition on her turf in over three millennia, and she’s not about to start now. Apollo is her first competitor, and he’s on a mission to win. If he wins, he’ll get a token; a favor that Aphrodite must fulfill. And with that favor, he’ll finally get the one woman he’s never been able to have.

Aphrodite and Apollo will choose their human players, and if Aphrodite can’t get them together before the clock runs out, Apollo will get his way. And she couldn’t have that.

Lex and Dean are perfect for each other. They just don’t know it yet.

Dean is a perpetual bachelor, and a man-whore. A brooding, gorgeous, rock star man-whore. Lex always has a boyfriend, but she’s never let anyone in enough to let herself go. Not really. Not ever. Aphrodite has her work cut out for her, but if she can’t make it work, no one can.

But she has more at stake than just Lex and Dean. Apollo killed her mortal love, and that beef has been dragging on for thousands of years. Ares, the douchebag, is forever trying to start a fight, and get Aphrodite into bed. And Persephone, her best friend, is the one person she can confide in, laugh with, and always count on for a healthy helping of bacon when she’s having a bad day.

Follow the gods as they fight, laugh, cry, lose love, and gain power. Making a mess with humans has never been so fun.
 
 
~My Thoughts~

Oh my God, they’re so normal….so human and it’s awesome! Completely took me by surprised and because of this I was able to fall into this colorful world quicker than cupid could throw an arrow.
Deer in Headlights has been around and about and around again in the blogging world. It’s been sitting in my kindle for way to long for how much I’ve been dying to pick it up, and yes it’s one I have high expectations for. Were those expectations met? I really don’t know as this story surprised me on where it was going throughout. So yes, I was taken back from some things (not talking about them steaming scenes, who doesn’t love those once in a while ;)) but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Aphrodite was a bit of a slut but what do you expect, she’s the goddess of love. However when she says she was in love with a man that died centuries ago I just couldn’t believe it sometimes. I was hopeful but at the same time it just didn’t seem right so I’m happy with how that ended up. 
Along with that I was amazed with how much background we got on the Gods. I just thought this story was going to be surrounded by the competition between Aphrodite vs Ares, the story mainly surrounding their (human) players, but instead we get so much more. So much more with multiple POV and all this together sometimes felt overwhelming.
However, overall I was smitten by the romance between Lex and Dean. I was smiling, laughing out loud, and getting warm fuzzy feelings throughout the book, even though certain things rubbed me the wrong way but they were very small things. Deer in Headlights hooked me, causing me to get attached to the characters, and making me crave for the next one! I can’t wait to see what other things Aphrodite has up her sleeves, whoever thinks they can win a game of love over the goddess of love is way over their heads.


Will disturb your being
 
 
Sweet Readings Everybody!

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one before now but it sounds like a very good read. I have read may NA fantasy novels so I'm going to give this one a try.
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! I actually reworked and expanded Deer, and think I may have solved a few of your meh's!

    Also, message me, because every time you review a book, I'll send you the next book free :D Just get me your email and I'll send the new version of Deer as well as Snake in the Grass! <3

    ReplyDelete