Monday, November 11, 2013

Review: Avalon High by Meg Cabot

Avalon High
 
Avalon High by Meg Cabot
Publication Date: December 15th 2006
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Pages: 288
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought
 
 
~Summary~
 
To newcomer Ellie, Avalon High seems like a typical American high school, complete with jocks, nerds, cheerleaders, and even the obligatory senior class president, quarterback, and all-around good guy. But it doesn't take Ellie long to suspect that something weird is going on beneath the glossy surface of this tranquil hall of learning. As she pieces together the meaning of this unfolding drama, she begins to recognize some haunting Arthurian echoes, causing her to worry that she has become just a pawn in mythic history. A powerful novel by the author of The Princess Diaries.
 
 
~My Thoughts~


This is an example of me loving the movie more than the actual book itself. Though yes, Disney Channel may have changed and added a character but that’s what made me love the movie and want to read the book it was based off of in the first place! Though at the time I didn’t know they added a character and one character I truly loved! So as I got deeper into the storyline I became more and more disappointed when those things I loved in the movie weren’t in the book, including the Arthurian mythology.
Ugh! The author never truly flat out says her characters are resurrections of the people from the myth and that’s what I was most excited about! Instead we get hints here and there with actions that say they are but the characters never really believe they are, so the storyline there falls a little flat for me. Which bugs me because it’s the reason why Mrs. Cabot explains why her main gal falls helplessly “in love” with her love interest so soon, because they knew each other in their past lives. But when the book falls flat on the mythology it’s written about, that reasoning just doesn’t work for me.
One of my pet peeves is when the main girl falls for a guy she just met seconds ago. Actually in this one, she fell for him after he smiled at her! He didn’t even say a word to her! This is one formula point in Young Adult books I certainly don’t miss reading.
Overall I don’t regret buying this (used book store, thankfully) as I did enjoy it. Just wished it was better! It’s a light, fun, teenage read so probably better for the younger crowd. The writing was smooth and there’s enough action and drama to hold the reader. But I recommend borrowing more than buying, unless you’re a hard core fan of Meg Cabot.
 
Gives you a good haunting
 
 
Sweet Readings Everybody!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I have wanted to read this book for ages. I love this cover, and had no clue it was a movie or based off mythology! I now want to watch the movie and read the book to see if I come to the same conclusion you did!

    ReplyDelete