Thursday, December 13, 2012

Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door




Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Publication Date: September 29th 2011
Genre: YA Contemporary
Pages: 338
 
 
Summary
 

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion...she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit--more sparkly, more fun, more wild--the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket--a gifted inventor--steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.
 
 
 
“I told him your loins were clearly burning, and he should man up and make a move."
"You did not!"
"I did. And if he doesn't, then I suggest you jump his bones."
Lola and the Boy Next Door, was like one of those scenes in romantic movies where you scream “Kiss her already!” “Seriously, grab his collar and give him a big sloppy one!” “Jesus, why is that so hard!” haha. I was pretty much like that throughout the whole book, I was actually surprised by how they have yet to make a move when it was at the halfway point >_<.
This, I feel, is what held me throughout the book though. About mid this year, I hit a rut with contemporary books and I’m glad this wasn’t going to be a part of that rut. I am so, so glad!
I enjoyed it all! The characters were great. I have yet to read many same sex (male) parents and I’m so glad more of them are coming out in books, cause hello, that’s the real world now! I really enjoyed Lola, I loved that she had a hobby of creating, making her own outfits and how crazing and colorful she is.
“Nathan nods. "Have a good time. Don't do anything I wouldn't do." I hear Andy as I'm walking out the front door. "Honey, that threat doesn't work when you're gay.”
However, I wasn’t a big fan of her boyfriend and who she was around him. She wasn’t herself and she deserved better than Max. I’m all for age differences (parents were six years a part, thank you very much, haha) but when he’s dissing your dreams of going to winter formal (yes, it can be cheesy). But if it’s a dream, you shouldn’t let a man change that.
“Sometimes a mistake isn't a what. It's a who.”
Now, let’s talk about the oh so charming boy next door <3, shall we. Seriously their klutziness when they were together was so adorable (the car scene of them driving out for a picnic with Lola’s parents, love it!). And by klutziness, I mean wording haha. This boy is like what most girls dream of. He’s sweet, there for you, finds imperfection to being perfect, shy but knows when to man up, great with parents and will be there to help create the crazy things for you. He is seriously amazing and why it took Lola forever to notice this, I have no idea haha.
“I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.”
Overall, this is a must read! For the characters, the fun humorous dialogue, the world, the writing and storytelling by Mrs. Perkins. This thoroughly entertained me and is just so full of life. I just love how she brings in Anna and St. Clair (though I have yet to pick up that book. I know, shame on me). I’ll most certainly be picking it up now, cause I just adored those two and now I have to see their story! ^_^    
 
“Just because something isn't practical doesn't mean it's not worth creating. Sometimes beauty and real-life magic are enough.” 
 
 
Happy Reading Everybody!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment