Saturday, December 22, 2012

Review: Spark (Elemental #2)



Spark (Elemental #2) by Brigid Kemmerer
Publication Date: August 22nd 2012
Genre: YA Paranormal
Pages: 345
 
 
Summary
 
Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally. Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can't. Gabriel has always had his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick. But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel. Only he's not doing it. And no one seems to believe him. Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance. Because Layne has a few secrets of her own...
 
 
 

For some unknown reason Mrs. Kemmerer is so good at making me go speechless, right before I have to type out a review. She was the first to do so and is still doing it now. Congrats on making an reviewer go quiet Mrs. Kemmerer, haha!
I have thoughts of what to say but how to say it I have no idea how to put them into a review. So, here I go at trying without rambling.
I am fully immersed in this world she has created! It has wrapped me up and has yet to let me go as I am dying to read the next one, Spirit. The story telling, it flows. The character development, it’s magical as you become a part of the characters yourself. And the pacing is just right with the romance, you get sucked in even if you aren’t a hopeless romantic like myself.
Gabriel is my favorite! <3 Has been from the beginning and still is now. His story has more depth I think than the others. Yes, they all have depth but since Gabriel is like the black sheep of the family, it’s stronger. Especially since part of the book his whole family turns against him. If that isn’t depth and strong with emotion, then I don’t know what is.
Being inside his thoughts was amazing, any Gabriel fan will love it. Seeing him grow to loving Layne was even more amazing! <3 And seeing him try to take control of his powers was breathtaking and heart breaking when he couldn’t get it right and it backfired on him. But then watching him take control by running into houses that come a flame for unknown reasons (till later) was full of action and very brave of him. I wished there were more moments of this but with the few throughout the book I cherished those moments. You got to see the real him, everyone got to see the real him, as the hero he is!
Now Layne, she’s shy and once you find out her secret, you’ll be able to see the whole big picture Mrs. Kemmerer has created for her. I love that Brigid not only creates deep stories for the brothers but for their love interest/side characters too. It makes the read even more enchanting. Now, out of all the girls/love interests, I believe Layne has the strongest and more sorrow story. Because of something that happened long age, it has her mom running away from her family, has Layne wearing clothes that teens now a days wouldn’t be caught dead in, and has the world looking at her as if “deformed”, all but Gabriel. Oh so sweet!
However, I have one thing I need to comment on. *spoil alert* The school comes aflame too and I’m just wondering what high school doesn’t have a sprinkler system. I mean, if my home has one (and it’s been up since 2005) how come some high school doesn’t have any. Yes, they have some kind of alarm but what real good is that. And yes, if they had sprinklers then there probably would have been less action. But come on, it’s a school for Christ shake. It just rubbed me the wrong way! >_< *spoil end* Other than that, I think nothing else rubbed me so wrong.
Overall, a must read for fans of Storm. Though, a forewarning, this one is more on the character development side than Storm. Storm had action none stop and this, on action, the pacing was a bit different. It was more of a breather and I think that’s cause the third one, Spirit, there’s going to be extreme action *squeal*! ^_^
The development between Layne and Gabriel had me swooning. Especially every time he thought of slipping the elastic band from her hair to let the long brunette strands free made me think about my amazing man, as he loves to do that too!  

Seriously, go pick up a copy!!
 
 
 
Happy Reading Everybody!
 
 



1 comment:

  1. This book was better paced then Storm. I found Storm to be a big slow in the beginning, I really wasn't sure where it was going, and it took awhile to get there. It was still a good book, but I find this one much better.

    I hope Kemmerer keeps going, I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete