Monday, November 30, 2015

Book Review: Athena the Brain (Goddess Girls #1) by Joan Holub & Suzanne Williams

Athena the Brain (Goddess Girls #1) by Joan Holub & Suzanne Williams
Publication Date: April 6th, 2010
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy
Pages: 160
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
Read: November 22nd to 23rd, 2015



~Summary~

Athena has always been above average. She has never quite fit in at Triton Junior High, but who would've guessed that Athena is actually a goddess? Principal Zeus's daughter, to be exact.

When she's summoned to Mount Olympus Academy, Athena thinks she might actually fit in for the first time in her life. But in some ways, school on Mount Olympus is not that different from down on Earth, and Athena is going to have to deal with the baddest mean girl in history: Medusa!


~My Thoughts~

I feel like this book is aimed more towards children instead of middle schoolers. Why I say that is because there isn't much depth to it and the story lines move seriously fast. Starting with the beginning, where we find out that Athena is Zeus' daughter and then the next moment she's at her new school, Mount Olympus Academy. Here a lot of stuff goes down in just a couple of days. 

Like things would happen and as the page count was growing smaller I didn't think things would get resolved but then it would in a few pages later. That happened a lot and that's why I feel like this is more aimed towards reluctant readers because things moved very quickly, too quickly for them to have time to put it down.

Because of this I breezed right through it and yeah, while reading, I did feel a little bit old haha. I enjoyed it, I could get into the story especially when something weird and magical would happened. I loved how if the students didn't cast a spell on a piece of paper before brainstorming ideas, those ideas will come to life and fall down to earth- causing an actual "brainstorm" haha. I thought that was pretty creative. I also liked seeing how things came to be, like Medusa's hair, very interesting.

Overall it had it's moments but since things just moved to quickly I just couldn't get into as much as I would have liked too and it made me feel a bit old. But when I thought of a younger me reading it, I definitely enjoyed it. My older self feels like this should have been longer because it definitely feels like there's going to be a sequel to it cause I don't feel like her story has ended. Will I be reading the next one in the series? Maybe, but I'm not in a rush. Definitely recommend for younger kids and kids that might be hesitant to read.  






Sweet Readings Everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment