Monday, September 7, 2015

Review: Undead (Undead #1) by Kirsty McKay

Undead (Undead #1) by Kirsty McKay
Publication Date: September 1st, 2012
Genre: Young Adult Horror
Pages: 263
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought
Read: August 26th to September 1st, 2015



~Summary~

Out of sight, out of their minds: It's a school-trip splatter fest and completely not cool when the other kids in her class go all braindead on new girl Bobby.

The day of the ski trip, when the bus comes to a stop at a roadside restaurant, everyone gets off and heads in for lunch. Everyone, that is, except Bobby, the new girl, who stays behind with rebel-without-a-clue Smitty.

Then hours pass. Snow piles up. Sun goes down. Bobby and Smitty start to flirt. Start to stress. Till finally they see the other kids stumbling back.

But they've changed. And not in a good way. Straight up, they're zombies. So the wheels on the bus better go round and round freakin' fast, because that's the only thing keeping Bobby and Smitty from becoming their classmates' next meal. It's kill or be killed in these hunger games, heads are gonna roll, and homework is most definitely gonna be late.

Combining the chill of THE SHINING, the thrill ride of SPEED, the humor of SHAUN OF THE DEAD, and the angst of THE BREAKFAST CLUB, Kirsty McKay's UNDEAD is a bloody mad mash-up, a school-trip splatter-fest, a funny, gory, frighteningly good debut!
 


~My Thoughts~

I've been wanting to read this for forever now, but sadly none of the library counties I'm with have had it on their shelves for some reason! Ugh! So, I bought a used library book from Abebooks and I'm so glad that I did! Right off the bat we're thrown into the action. One minute Bobby's classmates are going to grab something at this little cafe before they head home from their trip and the next minute their teacher has changed and he's trying to get to them.

This was one hell of an read, I loved that the characters knew right away that they were dealing with zombies! Unlike in movies, where they act like they've never seen a movie or read a book about them, it was refreshing that they knew what to do. Never a dull moment! I was excited to see where Mrs. McKay was going to take this, to see how long they were going to last in their school bus. I've got to say I liked the interesting turn of events when they stayed at a castle for a night.

I loved the characters, I was truly invested in them so when one of the ending scenes happened, that something happened to a certain character I was sitting on the edge of my seat going, "Why would you do this to them?! They're so close to escaping! Why?!" haha. Seriously, there were a lot of twists I didn't see coming and some even broke my heart, while chills went down my spine. 

Overall, I was not disappointed in the least bit and I'm so glad I was able to finally read it! Now I have to buy the sequel because that ending man, that ending! Total cliffhanger! Just when they thought they were all safe, another twist comes their way.   

If you love zombie books then this one is for you! There's nonstop action, gruesome details, chills going up your spine as if someone is right behind you, there's even a little bit of humor, and there's so much unexpectedness that you won't know what's going to happen next! It's a read that'll keep you on your toes!     






Sweet Readings Everybody!

2 comments:

  1. Like your global literacy infographic on your sidebar, stopping by from the Get Social Linky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay, I'm glad you liked it!! I've been wanting to read this forever it seems like. I don't read a lot of zombie books, but how can I resist one with a cheerleader on the cover??

    ReplyDelete